Perhaps your dream home’s bathroom isn’t quite what you pictured. Before you go spending thousands on a new renovation, try looking at your smallish bathroom in a new light. As the premier real estate agent for the Brea homes for sale, I would like to offer you the following tips on how to make your small bathroom look bigger.
The easiest, cheapest and quickest way to transform any bathroom and make it feel more spacious is by adding or upgrading the lighting in your bathroom. Other ways to lighten up your bathroom include:
- Change the color of your walls. Paint the walls and even the ceiling of your bathroom to make it feel larger. Multiple colors tend to chop the room up and make it appear patchy or compartmentalized and smaller.
- Windows – if you have windows, remove any blinds, curtains or barriers to maximize the natural light in your bathroom.
- Use pale color flooring – even if you have light walls and a light ceiling, a dark floor will negate all their effects and make the space feel smaller. Make sure to keep the flooring a fair color to create space and keep that bright open flow.
Install large or multiple mirrors to create the illusion of more space. Mirrors reflect light and that will make your small bathroom appear and feel larger. Some creative ways to use mirrors include:
- Frame them – the fastest way to add a touch of class to your bathroom is to add a frame. A framed mirror can not only make a statement, it can also tie the room together.
- Change up the shape of your mirror and choose a circular or oval one instead of the traditional, rectangular. These shapes tend to give your bathroom a soft and sophisticated look.
Streamlining your bathroom will reduce the amount of clutter, helping to make your bathroom larger. A streamlined bathroom is also a great way to create more storage. Use recessed shelving and medicine cabinets and avoid any type of shelving that sticks out as it will chop up the room and make it appear smaller.
If you have a bath mat, hide it when you do not need it as it will also make your bathroom appear smaller. Take the time to remove clutter or unnecessary items from your bathroom. Try to only keep the essentials.
Finally, raise your shower curtain bar up to the ceiling. This trick will raise your eyes up to the roof and make the room seem taller and thus more spacious. You can also do this for any window dressings that you may have in your bathroom as well.
These tricks will create or give the illusion of more space in your small bathroom. If you would like more tips on how to make your bathroom seem bigger or are interested in any of the new and exciting housing opportunities available on the Brea real estate market, please contact me today.